Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Life by the Darkness!


I dreaded coming into to this world. I teased, I spoke ill about it, and I complemented myself for not entering it, though deep down a voice warned me that I could reach the same place. As fate would have it and justified by karma I landed in a night shift job. It contained everything a job offered to a gaping job seeker; blinding me within the wrap of night shifts.

Training went smooth for it was designed to gradually convert our nights to working days. To train our eyelids to hold up to tube lights instead of sunlight. Our taste buds were enticed to new flavors, and soft drinks in varied colors were gulped down with utmost joy. The reason--- anything that comes free (or so we assume) goes down the throat with the most satisfied smile and with the proud eye brows raised high.

Training passed by and we passed out in ecstasy in the training rooms, dancing to glory reminding ourselves of the golden words by all our seniors-- “Training is honeymoon period” they had told us. They were so right. As always, we realize only when reality strikes and blinds us. My first day on the floor was nerve racking. But nothing angered me more than going home at eight in the morning. The whole world seemed to be moving in the reverse direction. Or actually was it me? I was confused. Children were scurrying to schools, men and women rushing to office, all such mundane tasks seemed unusual to me, rather special now.

A feeling of desperateness and anger drowned me in total confusion and disorientation. I wanted to change everything, wanted people to go to sleep now as I had worked and was heading back home so should they, or at least wanted to go back and strike out from my mind that I finished work. I was going mad. Feeling totally helpless I just sat in the cab---the white horse taking me back home ----back in time. In a topsy turvy world of mine I was the only joke to be laughed at, and I was indeed. I saw everyone around me smiling trying hard to keep their laughter locked behind their lips, with an expression reminding of the days I laughed at them.
I tried to hide my face, but how could I? As I was walking backwards facing all of them eye to eye and time would not let me turn back and walk with them.

I reach home almost in a daze, to see my maid drawing beautiful rangoli’s in the front yard, my dad was at the door with a warm smile wishing me good morning, my breakfast was ready and so was my bed. For a moment I thought there are some good things too. Well at least there was one thing that I did at the right time for the day --- I brushed my teeth. Had my breakfast and slurped down the milk and was off to my bed to finally bring down those eye lids for the day.

I woke up in the evening hoping it was all a dream but the white horse was back to carry me off to the distant land where time runs backwards and a make belief world awaits the next victim. A world where you can never see a moon rise or a sun set, looking out of a window you only see another window, where trees come in pots and sit under your shadow, fragrances all around that irritate your senses, and tube lights everywhere so that you are never reminded that day ever exists.

A different world it is, it pleases some, hurts some, but blinds all. This is the world which beckons your senses. On a positive note : only when you experience something unusual do we know the value of the usual, only then do we realize that nothing in this world is mundane everything is special in its own way. That’s what I realized.

No comments: