Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Quotes from Oprah.com


"In every work of genius, we recognize our own rejected thoughts; they come back to us with a certain alienated majesty." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

"My first reading of Tolstoy affected me as a revelation from heaven, as the trumpet of the judgment." --Ellen Glasgow

"Yet discovery, in the reading of a great original work, does not depend on its initial newness to us. No matter how often we begin it again, it seems to...expand again ahead of us." --Eudora Welty

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves." --Anna Quindlen

"Reading was my escape and my comfort, my consolation, my stimulant of choice: reading for the pure pleasure of it, for the beautiful stillness that surrounds you when you hear an author's words reverberating in your head." --Paul Auster

"Through the use of books, I had the whole world at my feet, could travel anywhere, meet anyone, and do anything." --Benjamin Carson

"A great book should leave you slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it." --William Styron

"In time of trouble, I had been trained since childhood, read, learn, work it up, go to the literature. " --Joan Didion

"I like the shape of muscle, and I like to have the muscle to move with power in the world." --Joanna Frueh

"Quick, name something wonderful about your body. Did the answer come easily, or are you stumped?" --Oprah Winfrey

No comments: